Beautiful Hotel, lovely and clean. Ate there twice, food was very good. Helpful, friendly staff. Very chilled atmosphere. Quiet location, main road outside no problem. Excellent quality free Wifi, Air Con and Safe. 2 min walk from main drag with plenty of supermarkets, cheap and quality tat shops and Taverners a plenty. Rethymno 15 min bus ride away, easy to find bus stop and tickets. Beach a further 2 mins down from the main drag. Aldi 5 min walk. Lots of different nationalities stay at this hotel.
This is a very hard review to write, because we really tried to make it work, and the amount of dissapointments was bigger than the things that actually worked. It took us a long time to decide on this hotel, and most of the good reviews we read here and on booking gave us a good feeling that we chose what we wanted of a holiday accomodation to be. Well, not everything really added up, unfortunately.
I will try to start with the good things, just to point out there were things that did perform as they should in a holiday appartment accomodation.
- The appartments we got were on the second level with a view to the pool and an ok view of the sea.
- The appartment was quite big, suited for a family of 4, but we were just 2 for the whole stay
- AC present, and it worked fine
- Rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and towels changed often
- You get beach towels from the hotel as well, so you don´t need to carry your own
- The staff is really friendly and always trying to help, we received a very nice welcome, considering we had a very late flight and checked in at around 2 a.m.
- Nice pool area, we could see the manager was checking the water purity daily, and the water was clean indeed.
- Close to Platanes city center, 5 min walk, but quiet still, because it is not in the actual city of Platanes, but a bit aside
- We specifically mentioned wanting a double bed, as we were 2 married couples travelling together, and if possible to be close-by. We were close by, but there were 2 single beds in the bedroom. Considering that was our first holiday together with my husband, not being able to share a bed, was a really big minus on our first holiday together. We adressed the issue to the reception, were said the manager was not there, that they will try to fix the issue, oh not today maybe tomorrow.....anyway, excuses, until we just gave up and accepted nothing will change. I noticed during our stay, that other rooms had the upgraded new beds, with thicker matresses and newer beds as presented on the pictures on booking, but it seemed like the appartments we got had the oldest beds and furniture, so the least upgraded. Needless to say the mattress was very uncomfortable and awfull to sleep on.
- Again, very deceiving pictures, the appartments did not have a big bathroom with a bathtub as promoted, but a very tight small shower, with a curtain that hang way to high, hence water everywhere, everytime you took a shower.
- The place, although super clean and obviously freshly painted, still smelled old, especially the kitchen cupboards. Our furniture was pretty old as well, i.e. mattress, tables, cupboards. No pretty lamps, as the staged pictures advertised to us, etc.
- The freezer door was broken, and it seemed they tried to (badly) fix it, but it stayed always opened, and ice always formed there, making it hard to use. We used our friend´s freezer instead, but it was unpleasant to have a defective appliance.
- The breakfast was ok, but not "amazing" as many people said. You had eggs of choice, some fruits and yoghurt, and cheese and cold meats only when you order your eggs, not on display buffet style. Being a group of 4, we always got one plate of cold meats of cheese and had to constantly try to order some more, because they always brought like 2-3 slices of each. It was funny, and kinda tiring, having to do that everyday for 10 days. The cooks seemed nice and am sure tried their best, but often times we would get a burned omelette, or over salted, impossible to eat eggs. Waiters always seemed very confussed. We had to repeat our order several times. They were very nice, and all that, but breakfast time was just so tiring because of these issues.
- Overall the hotel was okay, but not great. We didn´t stay there very much, as we had a rental car and travelled around to other beaches, which I recommend you do, if you are a couple. Maybe this place would be more suitable for families, but the renovation leaves a lot to be desired. If they would replace the furniture in the rooms, then the hotel would looks at least 5 times better.
Though the price was ok for the accomodation we got, I don´t think I would come back to this hotel again, and won´t be recommending this to anyone.
Beautiful, very clean hotel with the most helpful and charming stuff. We almost felt like a part of the family....Our room, on top, had a fantastic view both to the sea and to snow in the mountains!
We also had some lovely dinners in the hotel….
It's just a short walk to the town and to the beach.
The main road is right outside the hotel, but the noise from the traffic was no problem.
⭐️ For the staff
⭐️ For the cleaning
⭐️ For the food/chef
⭐️ For the appartments
⭐️ For the atmosphere
Everyone her is really kind, and use their time on the guests, so they feel welcome and "home" .. We cant find anything negative to say, about this place .. We are REALLY sattisfied!
I couldn't fault the hotel, everything was great, spacious rooms, good breakfast, friendly staff, lovely resort with lots to do in the evenings. Beach is relatively close. All in all, a great holiday!